Most of us know that we should get 8 hours of sleep per night.
Some of us know what REM sleep is. How many of us know that 60% of people have slept holding their mobile phones.
Keep reading to find out these and other lesser-known facts about sleep!
1. You’ll sleep better during a new moon and worse during a full moon
2. Falling asleep should take 10-15 minutes
3. Tiredness peaks at 2 am and 2 pm
4. Statistics show that you’re less likely to have a traffic accident when daylight savings time ends due to the extra hour of sleep
5. 75% of people dream in color now, but only 15% did before color TV was invented
6. 70% of dreams contain secret messages
7. 20% of traffic accidents are caused by lack of sleep
8. A snoring partner wakes his non-snoring partner an average of 20 times per night which is equivalent to losing an hour of sleep
9. The average person spends 6 years of their life dreaming
10. The average person spends 649,401 hours asleep in his or her lifetime
11. Fetuses of nearly 7 months or possibly younger have the capability to dream within the mother’s womb
12. We can only dream about faces we have already seen, whether we actively remember them or not
13. One out of 4 married couples sleep in separate beds
14. 10 days without sleep can kill you
15. If you are snoring, you are not dreaming
16. Hypnic jerks: The name of the sensation of falling when half asleep and jerking yourself awake as you land
17. A new parent loses an average of 1055.6 hours of sleep during the first year of their child’s life
18. 15 minutes of laughter is equivalent to the benefit of 2 hours of sleep
19. The average American sleep 6.9 hours per night
20. The average person wakes up about 6 times per night
21. Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shown on the backs of human knees can reset the brain’s sleep-wake clock
22. Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep
23. It’s not uncommon for deaf people to use sign language in their sleep
24. 72% of Americans sleep with their smartphone on next to them every night
25. Being awake for 16 hours straight decreases your performance as much as if your blood alcohol level was .05% (the legal limit is .08%)
Now, use these to stump your friends next time you’re out for an evening of fun!
Sleep happily ever after!