As a follow-up to our blog post last week on what foods to avoid, here are some foods for you to consider to help you get a good night sleep.
So, how about foods that may help you sleep? Some people may be surprised that tart cherries or hummus may aid in the natural sleep cycle. Check out the list below to see what else can help you fall asleep quicker.
1. Hummus: this food is made from chickpeas which contain tryptophan – a natural sleep aid.
2. Dark chocolate: contains serotonin which can help with natural sleep cycles
3. Pretzels: this simple carb causes a natural spike in blood sugar, giving tryptophan better access to the brain
4. Walnuts & almonds: both of these are high in tryptophan and melatonin
5. Tart cherry juice: (not juice cocktail) can aid in the natural production of melatonin
6. Miso soup: is high in amino acids which can increase melatonin production
7. Sweet potatoes: are high in potassium which relaxes muscles, calms nerves and increases blood circulation
8. Bananas: are high in potassium and vitamin B6 which help with muscle relaxation
9. Chamomile tea: helps to relax the muscles and nerves
10. Yogurt: contains calcium which aids in the natural sleep cycle